Spousal Petitions

Spousal Immigration Petitions

One of the most common petitions for lawful permanent residence in the United States is through marriage to a citizen or green card holder.  A green card is not automatically given after marriage to a citizen or lawful permanent resident.  After the marriage you must submit an application to the United States Citizen an Immigration Services (USCIS).  You must show that the marriage was genuine – that it was not solely or fraudulent for the purpose of obtaining a green card.

When applying for lawful permanent residence through a spouse, a number of documents must be submitted, including but not limited to:

  • Form I-130
  • Form I-485
  • Biographical information for each party
  • Form I-765
  • Birth certificate of both parties
  • Marriage certificate
  • Two passport style photographs of the citizen
  • Four passport style photographs of the non-citizen

After all the documentation has been submitted to USCIS they will begin processing the application and begin their investigation.  An interview will be scheduled which is inteded to determine whether the marriage is in good faith.  USCIS takes fraudulent marriages very seriously and typically requires applicants to submit supporting documentation to show that the marriage is valid.

If USCIS grants the foreign national a green card but the couple has been married for less than two years the green card will be conditional.  The conditional status can be removed by filing form I-751 within 90 days after the two year anniversary of the marriage.  Once the conditional status is removed, the spouse will have a green card and will be eligible to naturalize in three years.

The attorneys at Henson Pachuta, PLLC can help all stages of your petition for lawful permanent residence through marriage.  If you believe that you may be petitioning for status soon, we invite you to contact us for a consultation.  You can reach us by phone at 703-822-4701 or by email at info@hensonpachuta.com.

Avvo Client's Choice Award 2015
Bradley Henson Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2021 logo
Bradley R. Henson Avvo Superb 10.0 Rating badge
Henson Pachuta & Kammerman, PLLC - National Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyers badge
American Immigration Lawyers Association logo
Henson Pachuta & Kammerman, PLLC - National Top 100 Trial Lawyers badge

Contact Us Today!

Join the many who have called us for the immigration, or criminal defense help they need & have come to realize they made the right call.
CONTACT USgroup of people Call To Action background
Pachuta & Kammerman PLLC logo

ⓒ 2023 Pachuta & Kammerman, PLLC | All Rights Reserved | XML Sitemap | HTML Sitemap

Powered By: 
Epic Web Results text logo
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram